Thursday, January 1, 2009

2009: So Far, So Good

I was all set to go to a party at a friend's house last night, but because of various reasons (snowy/slippery roads, a long day at work, and my drinking buddy telling me earlier in the day that she wasn't going to the party) I decided to stay home and just chill for New Year's Eve. 

After hearing that I was going to be alone to ring in the New Year, Michael decided to go to work, ask his supervisor for the night off, pick up a bottle of champagne, and drive down to NH to make sure I had a glass of the bubbly as 2008 came to a close.

When I awoke this morning, I decided to go to the market and pick up some breakfast items, so I could make a tasty brunch to thank my friend for his kindness.

The first person I spoke to in 2009 was a women pushing a shopping cart in the produce section. She looked at me, smiled, and said, "Good morning.....and Happy New Year!"
 And this woman said it as if I was a favorite cousin who she hadn't seen in ten years.

I was taken back, but manage to get out a "And a Happy New Year to you as well."

After all the negative energy that I encountered in public during the holiday season- all the deep sighs, frowns, screaming children, yelling parents, and shopping cart bumper-car games at WalMart, I just couldn't believe that a person was being so very kind and wishing me a Happy New Year.

I'm very grateful that was my first encounter with another human being in 2009. So far, so good. 
I'm 1-0 with 364 to go.

  

1 comment:

linds_82@msn.com said...

that is really cool...after all the craziness this winter has already held, I think people are trying to be optimistic and enjoy the fresh start of the new year- let's hope it lasts! I know what you mean- it startles me to tears sometimes when a stranger is genuinely nice and it takes me off guard..Happy New Year! (p.s., by the way,you know the bubbly always flows here, and you are always welcome, though, I'm sure the romantic thing was better anyhow ;)