Saturday, March 22, 2008

Easter Weekend

I'm finally past the thirty day mark at my new job. The most intense part of the learning curve is behind me, and I'm settling in with my new tasks and responsibilities. Whew........I can breathe again.

I had dinner last night with my friends from the Cult, and it was a blast to dine for over two hours and drink wine, laugh, and talk about what I was missing at the high school. After the first hour, the restaurant stopped seating people at tables next to ours. Eventually we're going to run out of establishments that we are welcome in. 

Much to my delight, Grimm Fairy Tales #25, The Little Mermaid, was waiting for me at my comic book store this week. I thought that title was going to hit the shelves in April, so it was indeed a nice surprise. The issue intertwines two stories (as Grimm Fairy Tales always does) with one being the traditional mermaid story where she trades her voice for legs and capabilities of going on land and pursuing the handsome prince. Of course that doesn't go well, and Grimm leaves us hanging. For the first time, they are making us wait for "part two" to find out how the story ends. I'm hoping this isn't going to be a pattern, as one of the things I like about that comic is that the issues are complete stories. As for now, I can be patient and wait for the next issue.

Tomorrow will be filled with Easter eggs, chocolate bunnies, and a wonderful ham dinner prepared by my daughter. According to Wikipedia, a virtual Easter egg is "an intentional hidden message or feature in a object such as a movie, book, CD, DVD, computer program, or video game." They give Alfred Hitchcock's famous cameo appearances as an example, and explain that the term comes from the custom of the Easter egg hunt that is observed by so many. Computer programmers like to plant Easter eggs to place a personal artistic touch on an intellectual product. Writers re-create settings of places they have visited with loved ones, and artists give names to sea-planes of women who have captured their heart.  Easter eggs.

Happy hunting~




1 comment:

The Pirate Queen said...

I knew that those were called Easter Eggs, but I guess I never thought of it in the writing sense... Sweet!

I guess that means, YOU'RE an Easter Egg...at least in some of my stories...