Monday, March 31, 2008

Irish Eyes - Part 2

6:57 a.m.
Monday morning.

My car battery is dead.

Flipping Awesome.

After calling AAA, my boss, the car dealership, and my boss again, I arrived in the waiting room of my car dealership and began watching CNN while sipping on a small hot coffee. I had settled into the fact that I was going to be very late for work, and going to spend close to $200.00 to have a new battery put in my car. I figured my April Fool's Day had arrived 24 hours early.

While watching a CNN piece on the high profile Dems that are asking HRC to drop out of the race, an elderly gentleman began talking to me. 
He asked me if I liked Obama, and I told him I did. I shared with him that I had been a town chairperson for the Obama campaign during the six months prior to the primary election in our state. He told me that he too, liked Obama, and thought he was a good public speaker and seemed to get along with everybody. 
"That's exactly what we need right now," I said, "a President that gets along with everybody." He nodded his head in agreement and looked back up at the T.V. 

I noticed that he was wearing a "Korean War Veteran" hat, and asked him what branch of the military he served in. "Army," he replied. "I was Master Sargent- E8. Helicopter Division. I served in the Korean War, Vietnam, and in Desert Storm. I was in my fifties when I served in Desert Storm. My kids didn't think I'd come back alive."

I looked at him, smiled, and said, "Thank you."

I then realized that he might be able to answer my burning question of the past five years, so I decided to give it a shot. "Can you tell me why we are in Iraq?" I asked. He shook his head and told me that not only could he not tell me why we are there, but he couldn't understand why we weren't presently bringing our men and women home. 
"We have no business there." He said.

My search for an answer continues~


No comments: