Thursday, March 6, 2008

From the Quarter Bin

I've been reading the comics that I purchased at the ComCon I attended last weekend. There are two comics in particular that I have really enjoyed. One is a new comic by Icon titled, "Kick-Ass." It is about a high school student named Dave Lizewski, who has no social life, and is being raised by his single father. His mother was killed when he was fourteen years old, not by a villian or a hitman, but by an aneurysm. 
He creates his own costume, invents his own cool superhero name, and spends the first few weeks learning to balance on walls,  posing on rooftops, and working out in the gym. 
His first adventure as Kick-Ass has him confronting three other teenagers who are writing graffiti on public property, getting into a fight with them, and being left for dead in a parking lot. The last page reads, "Two broken legs, my spine crushed, and dressed like a fucking pervert..........my dad was going to kill me"
For all of us that dreamed of being a superhero as a young adult, this comic is a fun read. When I went to my comic book store today, I had this title put on my sub list.

The second title that I found amusing was a 1987 comic by Eclipse Comics titled, "Elf-Thing." The cover art is very cool and retro looking, and the inside art is in black and white. The story opens during the winter of 1986 in the Everglades of Florida. A well adjusted (and very happy) monster transforms into and elf and thus begins his journey as the Elf-Thing. He is challenged with adjusting to life as a small being, dressing in geeky elf clothes, and even losing his former love interest. 
Monsters just don't date elves.
The punch line? Wait for it......
After twenty-five pages of following the Elf-Thing on his journey, the very last page of the story has him stumbling upon a clearing where many other elves are having an elf orgy. I had never seen a full page elf orgy before. It's kinda like a car accident on the interstate. You know it is going to be ugly, but you just can't help but to stare.

You just never know what you are going to find in the quarter bin~





1 comment:

The Pirate Queen said...

Who doesn't love a good elf orgy every now and then?

Heh heh